Google sitelinks – How to get for your website
It is a big question. And the answer is simple. You can’t ask Google to set site links for you in SERPs. It is determined by the so called Google algorithms . Any way Google gave you the right to block the URLs you want to remove. You can do this in webmaster tools . Now mail factor of the selection is link popularity.
Facts depending on site link
- You must have a stable position on SERP for that keyword.
- Your website should have at least two years of age. It seems that younger websites don’t get Sitelinks.
- The number of search and number of clicks for a keywords may be considered. Keywords that aren’t searched often enough don’t get sitelinks.Your website has to get many clicks for the keyword by other means.
- The anchor key that other sites used to link to your website is also considered. (Anchor text is still important ? )
Now its my turn. I will tell you how to get sitelinks for your website. Of course, not a rocket science 🙂
While we can make only educated guess, we may can follow some guidelines to show the importance of links in our website.
- Create structured navigation using HTML with clean hierarchy.
- Use unordered listing (ul) to arrange the links. Use CSS to display and style the navigation. Don’t give so many links with same priority ( Limit the number of links in the main navigation.) May be you can give sub navigation using CSS menus .
- Brand the website with a unique name.
- If the name is too generic, no matter what we do, the click through rates on natural search may not be very good, because the user will have too many choices on the SERP for similarly named sites. Google probably won’t give Sitelinks to a site that is just average for a particular search term. We want to be the overwhelming first choice.
( example : “imthi” there is no chance of some once else getting a rank for that keyword than imthi.com .)
- Add a very useful title and meta description.
- As the click through rate is important, user should get good idea about the page from SERP itself.
- Make the site more useful.
- Even if the information that visitor want is not there in the page, have a link to where they can seek the information. At least have a Google web search option. Because http referral may can help you which is better than close.
- Site age
- We can not increase age 🙂 but may be we can have old domain names if you have money for it.
- Link building
- Get linked by forums and other blogs in the same niche with the keyword as anchor text.( The main sitelink on imthi.com is “WordPress PDA & iPhone Plugin” for which he is getting huge traffic because of link from wordpress plugin directory for his PDA plugin )
Now the wrap.
Never be link miser. Do I need to say ” Don’t be link spammer” too ?. Any way, most of users believes that sitelinks signify some importance. And it is nice to have site links for website :). You can find more information about sitelinks on SEO by the sea blog.
Seriously, don’t ask me anything about this yahoo 🙂