How Users Read on the Web
While reading RSS feeds of several blogs, a wish came in to mind to make use of a web page reader software, which reads the content in the website. Probabily, a firefox extension for it. I googled “read web page content” and found one interesting web page as top result. It was Jakob Nielsen‘s Alertbox for October 1, 1997.
He says that 79 % of users he tested on this topic, reads the web page in a scanning method. Only 16% of users read the page as word by word.
While reading his article with examples, I’ve found some good ideas which I should impliment while posting a blog.
- Better to list points as bullets than writing as a paragraph.
- Minimize the content. Include more meaning.
- People care who is the Author.
- Use simple but standard language.
- Understand that web users are busy.
- This article could be readable ( Am I right ? 🙂 )
In the same article, he puts a link to a link to detailds about eyetracking studies.
Though the article was writen in 1997, the facts are still true. Or did he wrote this for future that time ?